Food Photography + Styling
Santa Fe, New Mexico
May 6 - 9, 2011
We are heading to Santa Fe, New Mexico where the light is "luminous and dreamlike" for a photography workshop with Helene Dujardin from Tartelette.
Tartelette is a blog devoted to food photography and styling, food and life.
"That light — the cottonwood-filtered sunlight of the morning, the thick orange-juicy light of the evening; a light that matches other famed atmospheres, such as Venice's gauzy haze or Provence's luminosity — is one reason why Santa Fe seems to exert such power over both the people who live there and the ones who return year after year." HENRY SHUKMAN
This Ace Camp is meant for all levels, and for all types of food photographers, from foodies, to food bloggers to seasoned photogs = anyone wanting to learn everything or wanting to add another level that their photography. The workshop is all about unleashing your creativity when working with light, composing, styling, and everything that happens before you press the shutter butter.
The workshop will cover:
- camera modes (manual, aperture, shutter speed) to free you from auto, give you more control by knowing how to work manual, aperture and shutter speed modes.
- camera setting: how to find the exposure that works for you, how to work with white balances and ISOs,
- how to work with natural light: source, quantity, how to harness it and use in your shots it to help you set a mood or tell a story, how to work shadows into your frame
- artificial light: speedlight, studio lights, DIY solutions on the go
- composition and styling: basic composition guidelines, prop styling, natural food styling and tips and tricks you can do at home.
- post processing: basic guidelines, tagging, saving and archiving.
Helene moved from France to the US in the late 90s with a Masters in History, a suitcase and an old film camera.
She started the award winning blog Tartelette in 2007 where she dedicates herself to the art of food, photography and styling.
She has photographed numerous magazine features and 3 cookbooks to date:
Deliciously Organic by Carrie Vitt (IFP)
Tart Love by Holly Herrick (Gibbs-Smith)
Basic to Brilliant, Y’all by Virginia Willis (Ten Speed Press)
Helene is currently writing her first book "Foodography" published by Wiley Publishing in May 2011.
Her photography is a blend of her passion for seasonal fresh ingredients as well as her love of travel and interest in people.
She currently lives in Charleston, South Carolina.
Clients include: Wiley Publishing, Ten Speed Press, IFP Publishing, Charleston Magazine, Garden & Gun Magazine, House Calls Magazine, Gibbs-Smith Publishing
Featured on: Dessert Professional Magazine, Joshi Magazine (Japan), The UK Times Online, Saveur, BlogHer, Design*Sponge, Decor 8, The Oregonian, Skirt! Magazine http://www.tarteletteblog.com/ http://www.helenedujardin.com/
The condos are located located within walking distance to the Plaza and Canyon Road.
Friday May 6th - arrival day
Get together in the evening for drinks, appetizers and introductions.
Saturday May 7th - Workshop Day 1: 9am-5pm
9-1pm: Camera and Natural Lighting Basics:
- · *9-10am: Lesson: get to know your camera modes (manual, aperture, shutter speed), find your exposure, set your white balance and ISO
- · *10-11am: practice hands on materials covered in lesson
- · *11am-12pm: discussion and review
- · *12-1pm: Q&A discussion on picking your lens, find your point of focus, chose your camera view point
1pm-2pm: lunch break
2-5pm: Natural and Artificial light Photography
2-3pm: get to know different light sources and what effects they produce, how to work with different qualities and quantities of light, how to filter and diffuse the light, learn how to work shadows into your frame
4-5pm: discussion and review
Sunday May 8th - Workshop Day 2: 9am -5pm
9am-1pm: Setting Up For Capture
- · 9am-10am: basics of composition, finding your photographic voice by setting a mood a feel with light and/or shadows, setting your camera settings and modes accordingly, basics of food styling
- · 10am-11am: practice
- · 11am-12pm: discussion and review
- · 12pm-1pm: open discussion on planning your shot, creating a scene and a story
1pm-2pm: lunch break
2-5pm: Food Styling & Plate Composition
2-3pm: simple yet professional techniques to help you style your favorite foods from savory to sweet, stews to ice creams
4-5pm: discussion and practice.
Monday May 9th - Travel Day
Included in this Ace Camp:
- 3 nights accommodation at one of the condos downtown Santa Fe (Harmony House/Casa de Llave Azul/El Corte Callecita (some rooms shared)
- 2 days of workshop with Helene Dujardin
- 3 breakfasts and 2 lunches
Fee: $895.00 - airfare is not included.
Full payment is due when registration has been confirmed.
We will head out for dinners and in Santa Fe there are great restaurants offering New Mexican to New American to African and lots in between.
The city is teeming with culture; the Santa Fe Opera, the Santa Fe Chamber Music Festival, Aspen-Santa Fe Ballet, flamenco, over 200 art galleries, 9 museums (including the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum) and more.
There is also great shopping and fabulous spas
Space is limited to 10 participants.